HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!
Today is my birthday and in honour of my 34th year on the planet, I have created a list of 34 things I know to be true.
1. Stop taking shit for granted. Your parents, your partner, your house, your health, your job. There is somebody out there that would give their life for what you have.
Be grateful every single day.
2. Stay close to people who feel like sunshine. The better the quality of the person in your life, the better your life will be.
3. Check in with yourself more than you check Instagram. Check if you're happy.
Check if you are on the right path. Check in with you.
4. Fuck other people's expectations of you. They can get you into a lot of trouble and you're the one who has to clean up the mess. It's your life after all.
5. Find an exercise a like and do it at least three times a week. If you don’t’ like it, you’re never going to do it so find something that’s fun and that you want to take part in. Make it fun.
6. Lemon water, vitamins, good skincare, dry shampoo and a decent eyeliner will change your life.
7. Sometimes not getting what you want is the universe giving you what you want. It knows way more than you. Proceed as if the universe is conspiring in your favour - because it is.
8. Try everything once (except the illegal shit). What’s the worst thing that could happen? (Criminal records ruin lives)
9. Some people won’t stay in your life forever. You will likely grow apart from some of your closest friends and that is okay. You will change. If you have friends around you who are important, do your best to keep in touch but if it’s a one sided friendship, know it’s time to cut ties.
10. Water heals almost everything. Tired? Have some water. Feeling sore? Have a swim. Angry? Have a cry. Life crisis? Look at the ocean.
11. If, like me, you are an overachiever, you need to know that you’re never going to feel done. You need to learn when it might be enough for the day and start again tomorrow.
12. Music is real magic. Dance to it, listen to it, and devour all types of music. Pick random playlists off Spotify. Go to concerts. Learn to play something. Sing a long while driving in the car.
13. Improv classes will change the way you look at the world, introduce you to amazing people and make you a better person
14. Embrace the idea of 10 seconds of insane courage. Tell the boy how you feel. Start the dance floor. Getting that tattoo with your friends. You only regret the things you didn't do.
15. Travel often and as far as you can and make sure you get off the tourist path. The more interesting and life changing things happen on the road less travelled.
16. Must watch shows: 30 Rock, MASH 4077, Game of Thrones, The Simpsons (Season 1-11) Underbelly, Nurse Jackie, The Walking Dead
Must listen to: Hamilton OBC recording
Ben Howard – Depth Over Distance
Royal Deluxe – Born For This
Walshly Arms – Legendary
Anika Moa – Standing in This Fire
Sixpence None The Richer – It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
Ryan Adams – Wonderwall
17. Meditate and stretch daily for lasting and life changing results.
18. Try all different kinds of food – my favourite foods are Turkish and Greek and recently fallen in love with Peruvian food.
19. You don’t need to tell everyone everything that you are up too. You don’t always need to tell social media everything. Sometimes you can just fall back, do the work and let the results speak for themselves.
20. People tell you every single day who they are, you just have to listen.
21. Divorce sucks but helps if you have good people around you. Be kind to your ex-partner if you can. You once loved each other and it is a supremely shitty time for both of you. Try not to make it harder.
22. Self-care is mandatory. When you are exhausted and need to do nothing, remember you aren’t wasting a day - you are recovering.
23. Don’t speak negatively about yourself or your life, even as a joke. Your soul doesn’t know the difference.
24. The universe will send you exactly what you asked for and then send you a distraction to see if you’re gonna fuck up the thing you said you wanted so much.
25. Rest if you are tired. Sleep, nap, get a massage, close your eyes and just give your brain and body a rest.
26. Three games every single person needs to own – Cards against Humanity, Telestration and Uno.
27. You really should know at least 1 magic trick.
28. Writing a book isn’t difficult. What it is – a large time commitment, takes perseverance and takes dedication. This also happens to be the recipe for success.
29. Ladies, you never apologise for the following things:
Having your period
Your sexual preference
Putting work first
Not wearing make-up
The number of people you’ve slept with
30. Once single day can change everything or it could change very little. What it will not be is a repeat of today. Don’t take time for granted. You can only have this second.
31. Don’t fucking settle. Don’t finish bad books. Leave the restaurant if you don’t like the menu. Quit a TV series if you aren’t into the story line. Stop wasting your time on mediocre shit.
32. The absolute best life coaching and business book is The Places You Will Go – Dr Seuss
33. Get a pet. Having a little best friend that you hang out with all the time that doesn’t speak the same language as you – is the best thing in the world.
34. Fall in love with someone who looks at you like magic. Because YOU ARE. And don’t ever forget it x